Sunday, November 3, 2013

November 2 and Marc Chagall's exhibit.

 I drew people on NY Subway on the way to Mark Chagall's exhibit.
I think it is always good to give yourself different assignment when you draw. It helps to learn and grow and even discover new things about yourself. Here I forced myself to do first contour of the figure, ignoring all my knowledge about the anatomy, often trying to draw parts from the top or the bottom of the page, to train my eye to read general shapes. Then I can draw second contour, allowing myself to see the face, direction of the movement, connection of parts. To see what describes this person and his emotion the most. And than the fun part to see if I got it right in likeness.


Yesterday I went to see Chagall"s exhibit in Jewish Museum in Manhattan and I saw it in a new  new light, which was amazing to me. First, and I knew it, he painted what he felt strong about in his life, second, that all that fantastic images, painted on most of his canvases, based very strongly on knowing Jewish religion, where words in Hebrew, symbols and visual metaphors connected in a most amazing way.
I was not always agree with interpretation of his paintings, written near each work, but it was an awesome experience.


3 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

I wish I could do this, Nikira. I seem to have to use grids to get a good likeness. Contour drawing always looks so distorted when I do it and so perfect when everyone else does it. I love these pages and I always love the jots of color you add to them.

Nikira said...

Thank you very much, CrimsonLeaves. Likeness is not the goal. When I said contour, I still meant the shape inside it, so we should draw shapes almost invisible, but only line with character to guide us.

Nikira said...

Thank you very much, CrimsonLeaves. Likeness is not the goal. When I said contour, I still meant the shape inside it, so we should draw shapes almost invisible, but only line with character to guide us.