Friday, December 14, 2012

Starting new Gamma sketchbook.

I started new sketchbook on a Subway, Gamma by Stillman & Birn. The one with Van Gogh's drawing of a Sower on the sleeve.
I have a very special relationships with Van Gogh, I fell in love with his work at 15, after reading the book by Irving Stone " Lust for life". Van Gogh's "Letters to his brother Theo" is one of my favorite books ever, I got it at 17 and brought it here with me. Stone based his book on that Letters. Whenever I needed advice or inspiration, or just a friend, I opened a book at any page and listened to wise words.
So all this to explain why I did this drawing on the second page, leaving the first for something more special than a Subway sketches, I felt stupid to be so superstitious, but it was the only way to start that beautiful new sketchbook, till it become tainted, familiar, approachable.
I used vintage green pencil signed "Bell system property" with metal yellow patch covering last 6 letters, something really charming in that pencil, very personal and I like how it was gliding on paper.

3 comments:

Trudy R. Gomez said...

Checking out both books today! We had an exhibit here of Van Gogh's works. It left such an impression on me. I love your posts. Besides great drawings, you have great insights. Hope your season is warm, peace filled and prosperous!

Nikira said...

Thank you, CrimsonLeaves. :-)

Nikira said...

Thank you very much, Trudy, how lucky you are to see Van Gogh exhibit. I wish you too wonderful Holidays and peace. As much as possible in such uneasy times.