Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Couple of Subway sketches in Delta and Baby Peggy.

Riding late on a Subway gave me little time to sketch, too many people, no free seats, so I was standing and drawing in my head, much better than on paper.
I am at the end of Delta sketchbook by Stillman & Birn, makes me sad, I fell in love with this strong ivory paper, it takes any media so thankfully, washes, ink, watercolors, allows pencil to glide, kept up with my tossing it in the book bag,  really good companion, I would say, faithful friend, who knew more about me that I wanted to share.
I saw couple of silent movies from 1920's with Baby Peggy, than I Googled her, very interesting child she was, porcelain face with Chinese eyes, million expressions, read about her life, she is 94 now, accomplished writer, advocating for children actors rights.
Still want to see  “Baby Peggy: The Elephant in the Room.”  documentary.
After watching movie  The Artist I was really attracted to black-and-white movies, to that beautiful play of light and shadows, it was like someone was painting with black ink amazing compositions in front of my eyes. Without color you see the structure of life much better, clearer, and emotion paints it for you.
I used pencil and wash here, in Delta.

2 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

You know, I almost watched that Baby Peggy Elephant in the room the other day and I didn't. I had never heard of her. Love the sketches and good to know about the S & B sketchbook.

Nikira said...

Thank you very much, CrimsonLeaves. I recorded "Elephant in the room", hope to see it soon, she was so famous and life was not easy for her. She wrote autobiography, one day I'd like to read it. That silent movies looks to me like moving paintings, no wonder it was called "moving pictures".
Delta sketchbook is really artist's best friend, who we trust our secrets and thoughts. :-)