Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pizza Di Fara in Stillman&Birn sketchbook.

Quick sketch in Pizzeria Di Fara. This place is very famous, rated one of the best NY pizza. We ordered over the phone and came at a time when pizza place opens after 2 hours of siesta in the middle of the day. We still had to wait another 40 min in front of the closed door, watching couple of people moving slowly inside, drinking water, shifting things around. Surprisingly no one in line didn't complain, people kept smiling, which is already alarming in this part of Brooklyn, in given circumstances. New Yorkers never wait, unless it is a free admission in a museum or special exhibit, everything should be done in supersonic speed.
My pizza was made first, then for some reason, I didn't understand, it was rejected and remade. The only person who cooked was Domenico De Marco, 75, the legend.  He cut fresh basil with huge scissors on the top and drizzled with Evo oil from cute long nosed copper vessel. It cost $38 and it was amazing. So it deserves better drawing, which I hope to finish soon. We couldn't understand why it was so delicious. I remember the first pizza from Italy which came to Moscow, Russia,  more than 20 something years ago, along with Cinzano Rosso or Cinzano Bianco, garlic infused sauce and small plate of olives on red and white checkered tablecloth with waiters and music. It was an experience, but Di Fara somehow better.
Sepia ink and small ball pen in Stillman&Birn Gamma sketchbook.

2 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

I have a favorite pizza myself and have traveled a distance to have it occasionally. Love the story that goes along with this sketch. I always love the pops of color you add to these sepia sketches.

Nikira said...

Thank you CreamsonLeaves, It was my first encounter with Di Fara. my daughter is the one who brings me new exiting info about historical places in NY. She also introduced me to Totonno's, 3 generations owning this place, also amazing pizza. All little slices of life and joy.