Sunday, March 4, 2012

March 4, 2012.

Today I was lucky to visit Frick Museum (almost for free from 11am-1pm on Sundays) and saw 9 Renoirs and small room of drawings from  Charles Ryskamp's collection .   I gave my friend  a little lecture on composition of famous Renoir's "Umbrellas", I even liked it myself, my speech about rhythms of top of umbrellas, rhythms of feet, hands, light spaces on the top and the bottom, how they meet, direction of glances, diagonals of the structure. It was fun to analyze and find amazing decisions artist made. We gave up audio tour, because my little remarks about funny stories and techniques were more entertaining, whatever I remembered from my art history lessons and books I read.
Room of drawings was wonderful, seeing artist's hand in action, following quick lines... I wish I would work in a museum, watching, caring, sorting drawings in chronological order, awesome.
I sketched people on the train and a little bit in the Tramp plaza where we had coffee after "Chipotle", because in few Starbacks was no comfortable place to sit.
I used beloved Palomino Blackwing 602 and a little bit of dying ink.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice observations.

Unknown said...

Your drawings are absolutely beautiful! I have a perfect pencil too. Stop by my blog sometime
www.barbararoth.blogspot.com

Nikira said...

Thank you very much, Tim, every time it is amazing to follow people faces bone structure, so similar and yet with such different expression.

Nikira said...

Thank you very much, Barbara. What is your favorite pencil? Your blog is very interesting, I want to explore more. :-)

Nora MacPhail said...

Your sketchbook is FANTABULOUS. Very loose and confident. I like your self portrait for your blog too!
Happy Sketching,
Nora

Nikira said...

Thank you very much, Nora, for your kind words and following. I am drugging my sketchbook everywhere with me, but filling it with just people's faces seems so not good enough. :-)

Nikira said...

Sorry, drAgging!