Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Sketches in brown sketchbook.

On the way to Manhattan, people, legs, shoes, books.
I sketched in Rockefeller Plaza, people were eating and chatting and no one paid attention to me.  I tried different pencils: Ebony, Blackwing, Blackwing 602, Pitt oil.
Somehow pencils didn't feel right, too thick, too muddy.
Finaly Blackwing 602 felt  the most comfortable on this dry paper, but then it was time to leave. Little white accents added extra dimension. I felt bad to fill out Stillman&Birn with momentarily people sketches, but this brown book is ok for it.

4 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

I love your sketches, Nikira and I do think they look awesome on the brown paper. You capture the person so beautifully; each looks different from the next, each looks unique and oh so lovely! Love when you drop in a spot of color on each like you did in the piece with the legs and green glasses.

Nikira said...

Thank you very much CrimsonLeaves for your support. You know I am crazy about pencils so I collect old, vintage pencils from Ebay or anywhere I can get it, so very often bits of color made with that 50- 40 year old pencils. That legs touched with J.S.Staedtler Tradition-Chroma red pencil, pretty old. I have a separate jar for old pencils and I got a big set of Mongol water soluble pencils from 1950-es I think. Or even older.

Unknown said...

These are really nice observations. I like the highlight technique that you used.

Nikira said...

Thank you Tim, It was a good spot for drawing, people didn't pay attention to me, so much easier than on a Subway. :-)